Saturday, March 17, 2007

Nantahala




This past week me and Will and his 2 brothers went to western NC for a trip to the Nantahla Outdoor Center for rafting guide school. http://www.noc.com/I know, I know, it's cold and all but we lucked out and had a week of 65-75 degree weather. It really was great fun and even though I don't want to be a guide, the boys probably will end up doing some raft guide stuff in the future. We went down the Nantahala river and the French Broad. I fell out of the boat, or more like bounced out of the boat, twice and went in voluntarily for a drill. The water wasn't that bad. It was cold but you just don't think about it that much. We had a beautiful cabin up the hill from the river that was right on the Appalachian Trail. I took Wednesday off from school and hiked the AT for about 7 miles. It was so amazing. The beauty of the mountains always astound me and this day I was awe struck. I also was blessed to see a piliated woodpecker on the top of one hill as he flew off to a neighboring tree. I also saw a bald headed eagle soar above the French Broad River. Sigh......

4 comments:

gray la gran said...

did you hike north or south of the noc on the at?
hiking north from the noc is where i was when a big snowstorm hit.

Leanne Pizio said...

I hiked both ways but mostly North. I have to admit it is certainly an attractive idea, this hiking thing.
I think I may have convinced Will to hike the borders of the trail in NC.
I'll bet the snowstorm was beautiful!

gray la gran said...

it was beautiful ... until it was scary ... with drifts up to my thighs, couldn't find the trail, ice on the side of my face ....
oh! that's a story i will share with you in person.

Leanne Pizio said...

sounds scary! BRRRRRR!!!!! I do want to hear that story soon. Let's make a plan, set a date to get together!
I want to see your new knitting in person.